Friday, August 15, 2008

Paying Attention

This article, at Bully's Comics Oughtta Be Fun, is all over the blogohedron this morning. I support the opinions expressed therein.

What I want to know is, how does it happen that people can read comics about, or watch TV shows and movies about, some of the greatest heroes and heroines ever conceived by the minds of humans, and go to a convention celebrating those same comics and shows and movies, and act like that? Are they not paying attention?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its embarressing when these things happen, the guy usually isn't embarressed at all. I've seen it happen once to a girl who had her photo taken at the time of the incident. That one was sick, she laughed it off, but she walked away pretty fast afterwards.

Saying that, the London expo (where I usually attend) is a fairly small and quiet (in comparison) con and often over 50% of the crowd is female (most likely to cosplay).

Anyway, I learnt long ago the geeks aren't reading these comics for the story or the heroes. "Sex-Sells" when geeks are concerned. I've been sat in the middle of a convo on who is hotter "Supergirl or Wonder Woman". That was a pretty disgusting little conversation. I told them to stop, there is more to these characters then their bodies. Hell, they couldn't even name one of Wonder Woman's enemies... And kept naming Superman's supporting cast (which I suppose semi-counts) when I asked them to name other character assoicated with her.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I have to say I don't get that.

7:06 PM  
Blogger H said...

I join in you in your puzzlement as to how people who presumably read super-hero comics could act in such a reprehensible manner.

I get that same sense of puzzlement when I come across nasty commenters/bloggers too.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Well, commenting and blogging is easier. It's almost like not doing anything at all.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home