Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes #5 Review

What Happened That You Have to Know About:

The in-the-past group of characters is locked up by the cavemen but get sprung by a mysterious entity who turns out to be Q. The mid-future group has dinner with Vandal Savage/Flint and he talks to them for a while.


Review:

Okay, so not much happened this issue. Nothing new there. And Q showed up on the last page, which I'm sure is going to be a big thing for most readers. But for me, the main attraction of this issue came on pages 18-19.

This may have been the first thing in the whole series that I liked unreservedly. (It's the spread of Vandal Savage's collection of time machines.) Because it's just such a totally Chris Roberson thing to do. If you don't know what I mean, hunt down his novel, Here, There, and Everywhere, and see for yourself. I was delighted when I saw it.

The fun thing to do would be to check out all those time machines and see how many of 'em we can identify. I know I only know about half of 'em. Anyone?

But still. Basically this issue could have been dispensed with in about four pages. At least it'll all be over soon.

Art: 63 panels/22 pages = 2.9 panels/page. 2 splash pages, 1 double-page spread, 1 double-page spread of 2 panels.

Strong issue for the Moys! It looks quite good all the way through. If the whole series had looked like this I would have been much better pleased. Check out page 9, for instance; very nice. Although Savage/Flint is reminding me of someone in panel 2 and I can't remember who. Gonna drive me nuts.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

This is the issue where I had to pick it up and show all of my comic friends, because of the time machines and the Q reveal. Stupid-sexy-Kirk was also a good moment.

4chan figured out (most of?) the time machines and there's a key floating around. I saw it on Scans Daily.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I'm sure I can't access that from work; I'll try finding it later.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Brainy Pirate said...

OT, but this blog got a plug in the Facebook group "LSH: the Legion of Superheroes". Thought you'd like to know!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Thanks. I think the guy stopped by to mention it. If it's the same guy.

1:31 PM  
Blogger karl said...

Does anyone else think that the Moy's artwork in some panels is similar to Mark Bagley? In particular their rendition of Shadow Lass

4:05 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I defer to those with a better sense of Mark Bagley. Anyone?

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home