Saturday, May 18, 2013

Trivia II

Remember when I did this? Here's another one. Following is a list of fictional generic American towns. The quiz is, for each one, identify the children's book series for which it is the setting. Answer in the comments. As far as the use of search engines to find the answers is concerned, I believe that we're all comfortable within the confines of the honour system. To commemorate the Victoria Day long weekend, there are 24 of them.

1. Deep Valley, MN
2. Midston, ?
3. Bayport, NY? NJ? MA?
4. Rocky Beach, CA
5. Mammoth Falls, NY
6. Lakeport, ?
7. Idaville, FL
8. Riverton, IN
9. River Heights, IL
10. Stoneybrook, CN
11. Grover’s Corner, NJ (Not Our Town!)
12. Sleepyside-on-Hudson, NY
13. Cranbury, CN
14. Adenville, UT
15. Shoreham, NJ
16. Carthage, NY
17. Cameron, MA
18. Shopton, NY
19. Sweet Valley, CA
20. Frog Creek, PA
21. Shadyside, ?
22. Greenfield, CN
23. Learning, VT
24. Walkerville, RI

I put one easy one in there for you.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Jim Drew said...

River Heights is Nancy Drew (although I don't recall it being Illinois).

Sweet Valley is presumably Sweet Valley High.

My first reaction for Grover's Corner was War of the Worlds, but I guess that's not a kids series. (And it would be Grover's Mill, but the state is right.)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Correct and correct and not War of the Worlds.

I didn't think anyone was going to bite on this. I'll leave it open for a while longer.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Dr. Michael J. MacArthur said...

I got the easy one: Sweet Valley High. I had a pre-teen daughter at that time.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I was hoping to fake people out with that one. Like it'd be so obvious the answer wouldn't even occur to them.

11:06 PM  
Blogger wordsmith said...

I think "Mammoth Falls" was the "Mad Scientists Club".

11:07 AM  
Blogger wordsmith said...

And I think "Idaville" was "Encyclopedia Brown".

11:09 AM  
Blogger wordsmith said...

And Bayport (which really exists) is in New York State, and home to the "Hardy Boys".

11:12 AM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

All correct. Is there really a Bayport? I guess there is, but it can't be the same one; the Hardy Boys' Bayport is on Barmet Bay.

Similarly, there's also a Carthage, NY, but it can't be the same as the fictional Carthage, NY.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous craigopher said...

I'm a bit late to the game, but as I recall, Rocky Beach, CA was the home town of Jupiter Jones and crew from the Three Investigators stories. Probably only old codgers like me even remember the series, but it was one of my favorites when I was in elementary school back in the 70's.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home